8.20.2014

Big Shoes, Small Feet

After a week or so of grocery shopping and lazing around here in Lincoln, the time for actual work finally arrived. On Monday, I went to the Nebraska Department of Education to meet my employer and colleagues in the Data, Research and Evaluation team. Nervous as I was, I thought the meeting went pretty well...until I discovered that the research assistant I was replacing had 6 years of working experience, Bachelor's degrees in Computer Science and Engineering, a Master of Business Administration, a second Master of Survey Research and Methodology, and a wealth of knowledge on statistical softwares. Let me tell you that if it wasn't for the extreme cold in the air-conditioned office space, my sweat would have soaked through my black dress and leather sandals.

I left feeling terrified, horrified, and like I could use a tub of ice-cream just then. But God, ever so kind and gracious, quickly reminded me of His faithfulness, and how I can and need to trust Him precisely because I cannot do it on my own. I am also thankful for family and friends around me whom I can share my honest woes with, and who bring my vision back to Jesus who is big enough for any shoe size.

Today marks my second day of work, and I am grateful for lovely superiors, a large cubicle that's located right next to the pantry (oh yeah!), free stationery, the lack of CCTVs, financial provision, an unparalleled hands-on experience in the data science field, the walking distance of the office building from campus, and God's working all things out for my good.

Fear greets me every now and then when I think about my graduate classes which begin next week. Only one thing to do: Pray! And eat well, of course.

"So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you,
I will uphold you with My righteous right hand."
-Isaiah 41:10

No comments: