10.02.2008

Post-exam Vacation

Monday, 29th September 2008:
Since we were on a domestic flight, we had to go to a domestic airport. The airport we went to was under major construction and looked to be the perfect setting for a death-by-flight horror movie. But the destination was a whole other story. I was completely blown away by the sheer sublimity of the hotel room(s). I wouldn't mind vacationing there for a week or more. I was also a little boggled by the fact that there were more foreign tourists than there were local tourists. My mother was befriending Australians while I was befriending the storybooks I had brought along.

Tuesday, 30th September 2008:
A day of sputtering and gagging on salt water. 16 other tourists and my family hopped onto a boat designed for 12 people at most. (Hazard #1.) We were taken to four different spots of the ocean for snorkelling. Then, we were kindly asked to jump into the vast sea of blue for about 20 minutes at each stop. Since my brother and I are such hygiene freaks (outside the house, I mean), we refused to breathe into the mouthpiece of the snorkelling gear previously used by other people. (Hazard #2.) So we had to resurface every few seconds to inhale a lungful of oxygen. Moreover, I hadn't swam in more than half a decade and wasn't sure if I was going to be able to stay afloat. (Hazard #3.) My worries were, of course, unnecessary. The first two parts of the ocean were not much to rave about. The third and fourth, however, were spectacularly inundated with coral reefs and a multitude of fish. My father, who stayed on deck after the first spot, kept throwing morsels of bread in my direction to attract the food fight among the fish right in front of me. It was complete madness and my finger got nibbled on as I thrashed around and gulped a lot of salt water. It was the first time I actually let an involuntary scream pass my lips. I like to eat fish, not play with them. Also, someone thought I was 23. Aiyaya. The sea water must have added on 6 years. Or not.

Wednesday, 1st October 2008:
There were only 6 people, excluding the pilot and air stewardesses, on the 48-seater plane during the flight home: My family (4) and a couple (2). Needless to say, it was the most comfortable plane ride I had ever been on. I had a great vacation.

My brother, the university yearbook photographer, had brought the professional camera along and took about 300 pictures of monkeys, food, the aircraft and the ocean; among other things. I hope I will be able to post some up soon because it will take a little begging to get them.

No comments: