9.05.2008

Question of the Year

I have only been introduced to one of the Additional Mathematics chapters, Trigonometric Functions, a couple of months ago. Since then, the following -don't bother deciphering it, my handwriting is illegible- could probably be the longest trig question I'll ever solve during my adolescence (I hope):


Devised to infuriate.

Using a grand total of 16 equals sign (=), a solid 7 minutes and a whole page for 4 measly marks the question rewards, I'd say that was a killer question. Also, I think I may be showcasing my stupidity because truth be told, I did half of the question from the start and the other half of the question backwards. My mind works absolutely fine, no? I'm also positive there is a shorter and much easier way to solve it but my mind always finds the most primitive way -just to torture me. I am battling with my mind. If that isn't proof that I am on the verge of insanity or already am, I don't know what is.

Still. I hope the SPM setters have a little bit of mercy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I have a normal reaction to questions like these. As soon as I saw it I set to try it out. Hahha. Man. I always fall for traps like these. Weird.

Azngeek

Justine said...

Did you try it? Were there any other shorter methods? The question is from an elite school's exam. I can sweat bullets if every single SPM question is going to be like that. You are a math genius, as far as I can tell. :D

Anonymous said...

I'm not a maths genius. But yea I did it in fewer steps yea. Basically same method but some of your steps seemed kinda redundant but only thing that matters is the final result :)

Azngeek

Justine said...

Jeez, I'm idiotic. But thanks for trying it out! I'm sure you had a field trip since math (among many others) is your area of forte. (Don't be modest.) :D

Kidding!