12.26.2007

No Boxes, Thanks

It's Boxing Day today. It was Christmas yesterday. Just got back from the airport at 10PM. I am finally back from Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. Therefore, I shall give an account per day for the days I have missed blogging. I actually survived without reading a book and the Internet for 4 and 1/2 days. Ha.

Saturday, December 22, 2007
Went to Mall 1. Bought two storybooks. Moreover, my cousin sister and I got the same blouse and the same skirt. A skirt! Entirely unimaginable. The forces of the universe were conspiring against me then; I was sure of that. Slept over at my cousin sisters' hotel room instead of the designated one with my brother.

Sunday, December 23, 2007
The 7 of us had a heavy breakfast excluding my brother who was sound asleep in the room. Could barely move after that. Against all odds, we successfully made our way on foot to the Sunday morning market that was located at around 4km from the hotel. The place was congested with people everywhere and a lot of unnecessary human contact was involved. My brother was very prudent for not tagging along.

Went to Mall 2 in the evening. The place was decorated to the nines with Christmas decor. My mother forbade me to enter the bookstore there. I think everyone was relieved at that; except me. Chomped on a Mars chocolate bar to ameliorate my bookshop-deprivation.

Monday, December 24, 2007
Took a boat ride to Island 1. My cousin sisters, brother and I were very close to actually riding on a banana boat. It was bound to be an incredible experience but we weren't able to ride on it as our boat ride to Island 2 was arriving. Total bummer.

The boat ride to Island 2 was a whole lot of fun. Our boat driver was a shirtless daredevil who steered and drove the boat like a lunatic. Water splashed everywhere and the boat was moving so fast that it was bouncing off the water surface. The adults were a little apprehensive. The teenagers were relishing every single moment in it.

Island 2 was much better than Island 1. It was close to deserted and we enjoyed the water very much. Nobody besides our parents witnessed our goofy antics.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007
Wished about 30 people 'Merry Christmas' via handphone at 6:30AM. Post-breakfast, the 8 of us journeyed to Kinabalu National Park and Poring Hot Springs. Both were big disappointments but nothing dampened us as it was Christmas and my family was an entertaining bunch. The journey to and fro took about >6 hours. We spent more time on the van than in the visited sites. The only interesting thing we saw were two time capsules containing previous Prime Ministers clandestine belongings which were to be opened in year 2020 and 2050 respectively.

The fabulous seafood dinner made up for a lot. After dinner, my cousin sisters and I pulled a ton of wacky stunts in our Christmas hats. It was a splendid Christmas.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007
All 8 of us crammed into a hotel room and watched Tom and Jerry on TV whilst waiting for our ride to the airport. In my opinion, the adults were enjoying the cartoon more than the teenagers were.

The flight back was a little frightful as the weather was quite bad. We experienced turbulence constantly and the plane was changing altitudes rapidly. My cousin sister and I couldn't stop chortling despite the risky state. Praise God we touched down safe albeit not so sound.

In a nutshell, the Christmas trip was a blast. The presence of my cousin sisters made it even better. I ended up spending every night in their room and my brother slept alone every night. My Christmas presents were all related to reading materials. A magical Christmas indeed.

I am going to catch up on my sleep now. I can't help thinking about the phrase there's no place like home. Because there isn't.

No comments: