11.24.2007

Post-Thanksgiving

It's post-Thanksgiving and I finally took the initiative to find out why people on this region of the Earth (or maybe only Malaysians) don't even acknowledge much less celebrate Thanksgiving; Halloween is another one. The reason is because Thanksgiving Day is an American (and Canadian) traditional holiday and there's a history behind it -which I read one paragraph about here. It's celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November and I think Malaysians should make room for it in the future since we can make room for Christmas, Chinese New Year, Deepavali, Hari Raya and a whole lot of public as well as school holidays.

As the name of the festive celebration insinuates, it is a holiday to give thanks to God for the things one has at the end of the harvest season. It seems like an important holiday to miss so I shall (try to) celebrate it next year. Sadly, this was what I did on Thanksgiving Day this year. Maybe next year, I can try a turkey; or maybe just a bite of it. I hope my mother will give me her consent to get a turkey. I will have to wait and see. But why turkey though?

Anyway, this is late but better late than never. I am thankful for:
- Having all aspects of the sovereign God in my life
- Exceptional Family
- Great Buddies
- Being able to do the simplest things in life like read and talk and see. Seriously.
- Storybooks

This is also extremely late but, uh, Happy Post-Thanksgiving!

No comments: